Prestonpans lies on a gentle slope which rises from the seashore to the slight ridge which is occupied by the main line Edinburgh to London railway.
In the past, Prestonpans relied heavily on coal mining. Other industries were also important in the town including the salt works, soap-making, brewing, brick-making and pottery.
Many important people have visited Prestonpans. In 1745, Bonnie Prince Charlie claimant to the throne of Scotland, came with his Jacobite army and soundly defeated the government army at Prestonpans. And in 1777, Sir Walter Scott, aged six, stayed in Prestonpans for a holiday and to indulge in sea bathing.
What to see and do
- Preston Tower is the one time seat of the Hamiltons of Preston. The gardens of this 15th century tower house and doocot have been restored with elements of 17th & 18th century Scottish Gardens.
- The Mercat Cross is the only one of its kind in Scotland which remains in its original form and location.
- The Memorial to the Battle of Prestonpans is in the form of a modest mason built cairn, and sited close to the Battle site near Meadowmill.
- On the outskirts of the town is Prestongrange Museum. The museum contains exhibitions on mining as well as equipment from its working days including steam trains. It also houses a magnificent Cornish Beam Engine of 1874.
Port Seton and Cockenzie
Port Seton and Cockenzie are fishing villages on the Firth of Forth, east of Edinburgh with bags of character making it a popular place for day trippers and holiday makers. There is also a large caravan site at Seton Sands Holiday Park.
What to see and do
- The Myreton Motor Museum is home to vast collection of vintage cars, motor bikes and memorabilia.
- Scottish Ornithologistís Club (SOC) based along the coast at Waterston House. Headquarters of the SOC regularly has art exhibitions and events.
- Seton Collegiate Church, managed by Historic Environment Scotland is one of the finest medieval churches in Scotland.
- Waggonway Museum featuring displays & re-enactment area
The village of Longniddry lies on the East Lothian coast, 12 miles east of Edinburgh. It has beautiful beaches, popular golf courses and award winning food and drinks establishments, all reachable within a distance of 1 mile. It is also home to Longniddry Golf Club formed in 1921, comprising an unusual combination of woodland and links, with spectacular sea views from many holes.
For public toilet opening hours and locations visit here.